This morning my parents brought us their artificial tree to use this year. There's no way we could have a real tree this year w/what's going on. Anyway, she'd not put it up in years, and happily agreed to bring it. I think it's mine now, as my mom made references to storing it in my attic. She also brought boxes of ornaments! Some are from my grandmother and many from my childhood. There's still much we haven't gone through. Gregory & I have gotten the bottom half of the tree together. It's big, and it's full! I want to put the lights on the bottom before moving any higher, and they're still in the attic. So that'll wait ‘til tomorrow.
This afternoon, I went to Walgreen’s. When I came out, a young couple was walking away from where I was parked. They asked me if that was my truck. Yes, Greg's truck. They told me that man (pointing to a car parked a few rows over) hit your truck. He hit it trying to turn into the parking spot. So I walked over and his window was down just a little and I asked him, "Sir, did you hit my truck?" He said he couldn't hear me. So I repeated it louder, "Did you hit my truck?" He said, "I don't think so." Poor thing he was obviously quite old, & I believed he couldn't hear me. So I called the police and an officer came out. By this time his wife had come out and I told her what had happened. The officer took down all of the information and will file a report, but there's no investigation since it was an accident on private property. So he didn't get a ticket, but there'll be a police report and I got all of his vehicle & insurance information.
I could tell he was scared, maybe even confused. I felt bad for him. The police officer asked him how long he and his wife had been married. He said 60 years. She said, no, 69 years. She said she was 89 and he was 92. After the officer left he apologized, and I assured him it was okay, it was fixable, and wished him a Merry Christmas.
I've never had to deal with anything this grown-up before, so I guess I will start by calling my insurance company. Like I said, he wasn't ticketed, but the report will state that he did hit my vehicle (his headlight was smashed from it), so I believe his insurance will pay for it. It's not very bad. In fact if the couple hadn't pointed it out to me, I don't think I would have noticed it until we washed it. It's very low on the driver's rear fender panel.
So, I had to go home and tell Greg that his truck, his pride and joy, which he has earned with much hard work, was dented. I told him all about it, and he got dressed to look at it. He agreed, he probably wouldn't have noticed until washing it too. His final word, "Could have been worse." I've never loved him more.

3 comments:
Thank goodness that couple stopped. I have heard that most insurance companies won't pay unless there is a police report so you are on the right track. My car has a huge dent in the front fender because whoever backed up into me (in a parking lot) never left their info. It was during a time that I wasn't driving the car and so didn't notice until several days later. We never did bother trying to get the insurance to pay as we were told that if we had any claims our full insurance had to be paid first and we still owed over $1000. So the dent stays for now.
Very cool!
He sounds like Jason always looking to the brighter side, it most definitely could've been worse.
Reminds me of the time an old man backed into my car in a parking lot. He told the police "I didn't even see her car until she was standing beside my window saying I had hit it." Yeah...*that's* why you hit it! : )
It was my first time for a "grown-up" thing like calling insurance companies, too.
I got $300 for a scratch on an already scratched bumper, though. ; )
Post a Comment