The following is one of many emails I've decided to preseve here on my blog. It was originally written 9/6/05.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So far, we've been blessed to be able to find what we need. I was able to buy quite a lot of meat the day we got our generator, but there's none at the stores now. Still no milk or eggs at stores. Gas is scarce, but that has gotten better each day. Our area is more affected by the evacuees than the storm, so our supplies are beginning to be replenished. They just go fast. I think at this point over 95% of Baton Rouge & the surrounding area is back up with power, and we never lost water service here. We did have to boil it for a few days (I still am).
My SIL (and I) love thrift store shopping, so today we headed to Goodwill to look around and get a few things, but mostly just to get her mind off things a little. On the way, I saw a hand written sign "Women's Hope Center ---->" I had heard of it before, it's generally a crisis pregnancy/battered women help place. We went in and they just started giving her all kinds of things. They asked her sizes, and pointed us to boxes. They had clothes, bedding, personal hygien things, you name it. We left with several bags of things. They said to come back in a few days to look for more. They need people to help sort the donations, so in a few days, we'll go to their warehouse to help. That will help us feel better too. People are reaching out from everywhere.
We've been looking at sattelite images all day. Really sad to see some places completely under water. Many areas of the interstate have entire sections gone. But our immediate family's homes all look fine. I still don't think the idea of not returning for at least a month has sunk in for any of them. Becasue their homes look okay, they think they'll be home in a few days. Denial.
Like my mom said today, even with the tsunami, the water receeded. This horror is ongoing. They're estimating it will take no less than 2 months to drain the city. Then much of what is left will have to be torn down completely. Everything will have to be cleaned. Sanitation just doesn't exist their right now. There are dead bodies all over the place. And there are bodies & caskets from the flooded cemetaries to be dealt with(remember, their cemetaries are above ground). All bridges and major structures have to be inspected and repaired before they can even think of reopening the city. Many evacuated families are separated and don't know where their people are. It's horrific.
God is holding me up, and I know He will continue to do so. So are all of you. I sincerely mean that I love each and every one of you for your prayers and support. Thank you Elisabeth for the bible verse. I've printed it out & will place it on my fridge. Everyone sees that. :)
And yes, there's soap for sale. :)
Love,
Penny

No comments:
Post a Comment