Thursday, September 8, 2005

Losing my mind and other thoughts

Another saved email

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Penny, how in the world are you coping???


Not very well today I am afraid. Today is the last day that our families from Metairie are able to go in and retrieve things. So Gregory & I are alone. There are lots of ways I could take advantage of the time, but I just can't do anything. I had not yet been able to talk to my sisters, but was getting info thru my dad about them. I finally got an email from one, Jane, today. I emailed right back for an address. Tomorrow is her granddaughter's 6th birthday. So she emails back an address, saying it'll be their address for at least a year. And they only had 9 inches of water. But everything that stayed on the floor is ruined. The walls, insulation, maybe even studs will all have to be replaced. All flooring will have to be replaced. My other sister lives just a few blocks down the street from her, so I am sure she's in the same boat. I think of Kayla (my great niece). How can this little girl understand that all of her things are gone, that her friend's won't be coming for a birthday party, that she won't be going back to her school (small happy note - she'll be homeschooled)? It's just too much. My in-laws are in total denial about how long they will be away from home. I'm prepared for them to be here through Christmas. They are thinking 2 weeks.

And while I'm telling my sob sorry, my dearest friend in the world will be evicted next week. She has 4 children. My home is full. My pockets are empty. I can't dig her out this time. She's recently turned back to God and is trying so hard. We've been going to church, and I know she's reading the bible. She's sad, but keeping her faith. She' needs a miracle today.

My incredible son is holding Mommy up today. He asks why we don't pay Miss Brandie's rent for her (can't - it's too much), why they can't live here (we don't have room to add another family of 6), can't we just take one or 2 of the kids (this we may be able to do)? Then he holds me and pats me on the back and says, "it'll be okay. We'll pray for them." Then he says, "every story with a happy ending has to have a sad part." How did he get so smart? He floors me.

I still haven't been able to mourn Sophia, our old cat. I am so busy most times that I just forget she's gone.

Then when we see satellite images of the city and I see places I know and love and lived and went to school just under water... I've got to get out of here for a while. Tomorrow is HS park day, and I need it so bad. I wake up and the sun is shining, my power is on, my home is intact, and then I remember. This nightmare is so far from over.

On a hopeful note, we are not seeing much news footage of the French Quarter. I also cannot get any satellite images of it. This makes me think it wasn't affected too badly. If it were, we'd be seeing it. The only footage I've seen of the Quarter was of military personnel walking the street and a tank driving down it (not an amphibious vehicle, a tank). That's encouraging. I also haven't heard anything about the zoo or aquarium.

My people have returned. BBL

Penny

No comments: