Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lately...

So Friday I will begin treatment for Hep C. If you'd like to follow that story, please visit my healing blog.

But I've not just been preparing for treatment. I've been very aware that we now have a schooler 2 doors down. It's a rental house and the family has an 18yo son and a 13yo daughter. Every afternoon, about 3:05, the bus comes down our street. Yuck. The sound makes me queasy. Nope, the bus was not a fun part of my day.

And so many friends on FB posting about back to school. I know, we are a minority, but it's just so "in your face". I'd imagine this is how my non-participating friends feel at Christmas time. Part of the angst is that we aren't active with an homeschool groups right now. We belong to 2, and they have email groups, but we've not gone on an outing in several months. The last one was to go ice skating. Truth is, G's just not interested. He's more of an introvert than his dad and I are. He has his 3 friends that spend weekends here, and he has many cyber friends as well. For now, that's meeting his social needs.

Very recently he's come to me bored a few times. Poor kid can't wait to have a job. For the money, of course, but also to have the responsibility. He's taken on a lot of little jobs at home, which is nice since I'll probably need him a bit more while in HepC treatment. He's just so mature for his age, and it's hard even for me to remember he's *only* 13. Being 5' 4" tall doesn't help! He and I are nearly eye to eye now. And if I call home, I have to ask, "what are you doing?" before I know if I'm talking to my hubby or my son.

Speaking of hubby, he's going to have back surgery again before the end of the year. It's bad. He can hardly walk. His leg muscles are just gone. He's waiting to see how I do with treatment before scheduling his surgery. This will be more invasive than the last. He'll spend 3 or 4 days in the hospital, and then be in bed at home for 3 weeks.

And my poor darling lost his grandmother 2 weeks ago. She was just a month shy of 90, and lived at home, on her own, until her last hospital stay. She went peacefully. After my MIL died 12 years ago, Grandma really became all the more a treasure to us. She was G's only great-grandparent, and I knew her longer than I knew any of my own grandparents. I'm thankful for all of the trips we were able to make to see her. She was about 2.5 hrs away and the trip was rough on hubby's back. We saw her last in March.



1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Sorry for your loss.

I hate all the back to school crap too, it's everywhere!

My 13 yr old is 5'9, yeah I feel short :)

They grow up so fast!

I'm sorry that Greg needs another surgery, gosh hon you guys are going through a lot!