I am exhausted! Thursday afternoon, my friend Brandie finally went into the birthing center. She'd been contracting for days and began dilating weeks ago. She saw the midwife in the am, who told her to go home, eat, shower, do some walking around the block and then come back when she was ready. She was offered the chance at a water birth, but decided she wanted the epidural more. Anyway, about an hour after the epidural her contractions had all but stopped (big surprise), so they began pitocin. I know that is usually the recipe for a c-section, but I kept my mouth shut. She'd already had 6 vaginal births and I didn't want to add to her emotional stress. Thankfully, the pitocin did indeed get things going well. Finally about 1 am she couldn't take the contractions anymore. She was also having pain that she felt was in her bladder - once the midwife heard that & removed the catheter, it was better. But by this time she's in very active labor. After witnessing a couple of contractions, realizing the epidural was wearing off, the midwife said, "Okay lets just go ahead and deliver. I've never witnessed a birth before. If you ever have the chance, don't pass it up. So amazing! First thing I know, I am seeing hair. The midwife called Dad over to catch the baby and he did great. Brandie pushed 2 maybe 3 more times and Laylah was here. She was crying immediately. Next thing I know, the midwife is saying "who's this lady?" It took us all a minute to realize she was talking about me. She said come cut the cord. I don't think I've ever gotten my camera strap off my neck so quickly. My hand was shaking. It was surreal. Then after the cut, baby is wisked over to the warmer for cleaning and weighing. When I realized I had blood on my hands, I didn't want to wash it off. It was too precious. Then the midwife told me I had blood on my shirt, and I smiled. I also told her that if it were me, I'd be taking the placenta home. Of course, I'd never seen a placenta (in person) before either. So far, no one wants to see the picture I took of it. :P
So Laylah Christian held out long enough to be born Friday Nov. 5th, her mommy's 36th birthday! She is pefect. And I am a Nanny again. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment