This is a nest I discovered in a hanging basket. It had been put in my laundry room for a freeze, and just never got put back out. These birds actually nested in this same plant last year, but it wasn't in the same place. The basket is pretty high up in the air, so I step up on a stool & slowly peek in to see if momma is there. If she wasn't, I'd stick my camera up in the air and take a picture. While she was building the nest (I should say they - the male is a very active poppa), she would fly out if she saw me. A few times I didn't see her, but when I stuck the camera in the air, out she flew. That's when I got the egg pictures. Each time, she returned within 5 minutes. But after the 22nd, she was sitting and didn't move when she saw me. Then while she was out of the nest on the 26th I took a picture and saw babies! They looked more like embryos than anything else. They're changing very fast. Just from this morning to tonight they have grown fuzz. And then tonight I got a short video!
Nest March 9th

3 eggs March 9th

4 eggs March 15th

momma on the nest March 22

Newborn babies! March 26th

March 27th

March 28th

No comments:
Post a Comment