Sunday, December 23, 2007

Wii did it!!!

We all agreed several months ago that we'd be getting a Wii as our big Christmas gift. We've also known that by the time we had the money, there'd be no Wiis. We'd all come to terms with that. I'd even decided to not go around trying to chase one down before stores ran out.

Then I saw on the news last weekend that Friday morning (2 days ago), GameStop stores would be selling Wii rainchecks, guaranteeing delivery by January 25th. Knowing how hard they are to get, that sounded like a great deal to us. No trying to hunt one down. So Tuesday night, I stopped in at GameStop and talked to one of the associates (John). He very strongly suggested I check with him in the morning(Weds.), early. So Wednesday morning, Gregory and I go off on our quest. It was short and sweet. John had already gotten a call from his UPS driver - no Wiis today. So we did it again Thursday morning. Thurs., he hadn't heard from his UPS man, so we waited, along with 2 other customers until around 11:30 when UPS got there. Again, no Wiis. I could tell John was very disappointed for us. He asked if we'd be coming for a raincheck and I assured him we would. He told us to get there early; they only had 12 rainchecks to sell.

So Friday morning, with snacks, drinks, DS, my crochet bag, and an old blanket to sit on, we headed out at 7:30. We were the second people there. I had flashbacks of camping out for concert tickets, but we all waited calmly in our cars. By the time they opened at 9:00, there were only 3 of us waiting. I called DH and let him know that if anyone at his office was interested, they'd better come now. So we go home quite happy Friday morning, confident that we'd have a Wii within a month.





At about 8:30 Friday night, the phone rings. Gregory comes running, phone in hand, calling "EB games! EB games!" (they've only recently changed name to GameStop). I answered. It was John. "Penny, I have your Wii." We were there in about 10 minutes, and playing by 9:30. We love it!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Awesome!!!
Now that is one happy boy :)

Laura/CenterDownHome said...

(Saw your post at unschooling gamers.)
I'm so happy for you guys! We wanted one last Christmas, didn't get it 'til February (which actually made for a Happy February). This year, we've been on the hunt again, because my nephew wants one. So far, no luck!

My sons (14 and 15) favorite Wii game these days is Guitar Hero. :)

Merry, merry!