Gregory had some problems with his top front teeth at about 20 months. It began as a hole in the tooth, then it cracked and before we got to the dentist, it broke. The dentist noticed the same beginning on the other front tooth. He said it likely happened in utero, the pulp and the enamel never bonded together. His logic (which I agreed with) was that since the natural enamel didn't bond well, neither would any filling or cap. So we let it be. Gregory never seemed to be in pain. In fact, the only thing done at that visit was a bit of filing of the broken tooth because it hurt me while nursing. He also told us that once the decay is black, it has stopped. Gregory has lost his bottom front teeth, but the 2 top front teeth aren't budgin yet. It's been so long since my sweetie's smile included "whole" front teeth.
And FWIW - he never had a bottle and I quickly corrected the dental assistant when she said "bottle carries". She and I nearly had a run in. When I told her he was still nursing at 20 months (she asked if he still took a bottle), she looked at me and said, "well, he's probably going to tell you it's time to stop that." My response was a very loud, "He'd better not! Is he a lactation consultant? Are you?" I think she made a note on the chart because the dentist didn't bat an eye about the nursing.

No comments:
Post a Comment